Best Bisquick Coffee Cake Recipe – Sweet Potato Favorites
Bisquick coffee cake recipe that will wow you is my Yummy Yam Praline Coffee cake. Made with Bisquick and a simple dough, this sinfully delicious treat freezes well and makes a wonderful breakfast, dessert or snack. I usually keep these ingredients in my pantry to whip up this recipe whenever I need to impress someone with a morning or mid-day treat. Like a Bisquick cranberry bread but with pecans in a coffee cake! This best coffee cake recipe is from my Too Hot in the Kitchen cookbook. Simple to make, with one bite you will agree that there’s nothing as good as this Bisquick coffee cake recipe. I remember the first time I made the Yummy Yam Praline Coffee Cake my kids said, “Mom, this looks like the kind of coffee cake you buy in the grocery!” For once, my kids were impressed! With that reaction, I said this is my best coffee Cake recipe!! With the praline topping and cranberries and yam sweet dough, OMG is this delicious.
Well, a true yam actually is a tuber grown in the tropics, and a true sweet potato is an enlarged root of the sweet potato plant that is starchy when harvested but becomes sweeter after storage. In the 1930’s, as Louisiana sweet potatoes were shipped to the eastern states, the consumer recognized that Louisiana sweet potatoes were moist, sweet and soft when baked. Thus, “Louisiana Yams” (yam comes from African word “nyami” means “to eat”) became the trademark of the Louisiana sweet potato distinguishing them as the sweetest and most moist variety.
Forget Willpower with this Sweet Potato Recipe
This is one of my favorite Louisiana yam recipes This melt-in-your mouth Bisquick coffee cake recipe with yams, cranberries and pecans I honestly have no willpower–natural sweetness of yams, tart cranberries and a toasty pecan praline topping. Yummy Yam Praline Coffee Cake from Too Hot in the Kitchen cookbook. Remember, any sweet potato recipe may be made with canned or fresh cooked sweet potatoes.
- 1 (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes (yams) drained and mashed equals 1 cup.
- 1 medium sweet potato, cooked equals 1 cup mashed
- If a recipe calls for canned sweet potatoes, fresh cooked sweet potatoes may be used.
- Bake sweet potatoes, wrap well, and freeze to pull out for a quick dinner side.
- Sweet potatoes (yams) should not be refrigerated unless cooked.
Yummy Yam Praline Coffee Cake from Too Hot in the Kitchen
Makes 16 servings
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, divided
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 1/2 cups biscuit baking mix
1 (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
1/3 cup skim milk
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven 400°F. Coat 9x9x2-square baking pan with nonstick baking spray.
2. In bottom of prepared pan, mix together butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar and corn syrup. Spread mixture evenly in pan and sprinkle with pecans.
3. In large mixing bowl, beat together biscuit baking mix, sweet potatoes, and milk until dough forms a ball. Turn dough onto surface heavily dusted with baking mix and roll or pat into 12-inch long rectangle.
4. In small bowl, combine remaining 3 tablespoons brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle brown sugar mixture and cranberries evenly over dough. Roll up dough jellyroll style from longer side. Cut crosswise into one-inch pieces and arrange on top of pecan mixture in pan and dough spreads when baking.
5. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and immediately run knife around sides. Invert onto serving plate and scrape any brown sugar mixture from pan to top cake.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 184 Calories from fat 30% Fat 6g Saturated Fat 2g Cholesterol 4mg Sodium 254mg Carbohydrate 31g Dietary Fiber 1g Sugars 16g Protein 2g Dietary Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
Spicy Advice: Don’t let this dough intimidate you because the dough is easy to work with. You can even pat out with your hands.
For more information, visit About Holly or The Healthy Cooking Blog for more recipes and tips.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- Easy Muffuletta Salad Recipe -Jazzed Up Amazing Muffuletta Pasta Salad - February 20, 2017
- Easy Chicken and Dumplings Recipe with Rotisserie Chicken & Bisquick - February 19, 2017
- EASY Muffuletta Sandwich Recipe – 4-Ingredient Italian Mini Muffuletta Recipe - February 16, 2017