Black-Eyed Pea Dip for tradition
Everyone has heard of the superstition that you must eat cabbage and black-eyed peas on New Year’s Day. I do not necessarily believe in superstitions but I do believe in tradition – and every year I love to cook this hearty delicious Black-Eyed Pea Dip recipe, from my cookbook, Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle at Any Age.
Black-Eyed Pea Dip Recipe-Can you open cans?
Meaty and easy to whip up, you simply brown ground sirloin, as remember sirloin is your leanest cut of meat, saute onion, open and dump cans, stir in cheese, and you have the most fabulous Black-Eyed Pea Dip recipe you whipped up in minutes. You do not get much simpler than that! Remember to drain your black-eyed peas to decrease your sodium. I love to use pita chips to dip. Enjoy and have a Happy New Year’s!
Black-Eyed Pea Dip recipe from Too Hot in the Kitchen
Open cans for a simple short-cut to this meaty black bean dip; hearty, healthy, and delicious. Ideal for New Year’s Day but enjoyable year round.
Makes 24 (1/4-cup) servings
1/2 pound ground sirloin
1 onion, chopped
1 green or red bell pepper, cored, chopped
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon chopped jarred jalapenos
2 (15-ounce) cans black- eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat Mexican blend cheese
1. In nonstick pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook meat, onion, and bell pepper, until meat is done.
2. Stir in flour, and add remaining ingredients, stirring until cheese is melted and dip heated thoroughly. Serve hot.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 66 Calories from fat 26% Fat 2g Saturated Fat 1g Cholesterol 10mg Sodium 222mg Carbohydrate 7g Dietary Fiber 1g Sugars 1g Protein 5g Dietary Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 lean meat
Join me this year for easy, healthy recipes
For more information, visit www.hollyclegg.com or The Healthy Cooking Blog for more recipes and tips.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- How to Serve Safe Food – Terrific Tailgate Tips - October 19, 2016
- Sweet Potato Skin Appetizers – For Football Tailgate Party - October 17, 2016
- Simple Baked Chicken – Eat Protein for Chemotherapy Diet-Cancer Treatment - October 16, 2016