October is here! If you’ve noticed more pink around lately, you’re right. It’s National Breast Cancer awareness month and many people express their support through purchasing pink products or wearing light pink ribbons. I’m bias to food of course, but why not whip up a family-friendly dish that’s nutritious for your friend or family member that’s sick to help warm the soul. My Southwestern Lasagna dish is not only good for the patient, but good to their heart and waistline as well. Layers of tortillas, spicy meat, and melted cheese create a delicious twist on a classic favorite. It’s always a nice idea to choose a freezer-friendly option like this recipe, so any leftovers can be wrapped up or the lasagna can be cut into single portion sizes to freeze.
Southwestern Lasagna from Holly Clegg’s trim&TERRIFIC Too Hot in the Kitchen
10 servings/serving size: 1 piece
1 pound ground sirloin
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 (16-ounce) jar salsa
1 1/4 cups enchilada sauce
Shurfine salt and pepper to taste (optional)
1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1 large egg white, beaten
6 (6-inch) flour tortillas, cut into thirds
1 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees. Coat 13x9x2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In large nonstick skillet, cook meat and garlic until done. Drain any excess fat. Add salsa, enchilada sauce, and salt and pepper. Bring mixture to boil, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
3. In small bowl, combine cottage cheese and egg white.
4. Spread thin layer meat sauce in prepared dish. Layer with half tortillas, all cottage cheese mixture, half remaining meat mixture, and half the cheese. Repeat layers, omitting cottage cheese layer and ending with meat sauce.
5. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake 25–30 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 193, Calories from fat (%) 51, Fat (g) 6, Saturated Fat (g) 2, Cholesterol (mg) 32, Sodium (mg) 597, Carbohydrate (g) 17, Dietary Fiber (g) 1, Sugars (g) 4, Protein (g) 18, Diabetic Exchanges: 1 Starch, 2 Lean Meat
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- Stove Top Wild Rice Side When Out of Oven Space - November 15, 2015
- Easy Stuffed Artichoke Casserole + My Top Make-Ahead Healthy Thanksgiving Menu - November 11, 2015
- BEST Thanksgiving Recipes, Time-SavingTips & Menu - November 10, 2015