My summer barbecue menu:
No need to tell your guests to save up on calories so they can enjoy the festive food. These recipes are diabetic friendly from my easiest cookbook, KITCHEN 101 that has a “D” to indicate diabetic-friendly recipes throughout the book. Some do it the old fashioned way with charcoal while others prefer the less messy way with gas. Everyone has their own interpretation of their style barbecue but the meal isn’t complete without my incredible Southwestern Sweet Potato Salad. (diabetic-friendly)
Top 6 Healthy BBQ Tips:
- Select leaner cuts of meat ending in “loin” or “round”
- Sub nutritious sweet potatoes for potatoes to create a healthier potato salad
- Add 1/2 cup salsa to burger patties, equal to 1 cup of vegetables
- Try Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise in dips
- Create your own marinade to control sodium instead of buying pre-marinated meats
- Make sure to rinse and drain canned beans to reduce sodium
Summer Barbecue Menu Must Include Burgers
Burgers don’t have to be meat, be adventurous and try a healthier alternative between those buns! Simple ground sirloin mixed with soy-sauce, Hoisin sauce and ginger give the burger an Asian twist creating my very favorite, scrumptious Asian Burger from my easy book actually featuring burgers, KITCHEN 101 with only 5 Weight Watcher Points Plus.
Snappy Salmon Burgers (diabetic-friendly) also from KITCHEN 101 uses fresh salmon, packed with those heart healthy omega 3’s that transforms into unbeatable salmon burger. Don’t worry about extra sauces when the salmon burger pairs up with the quick to prepare spicy Chili Sauce. And, fresh fish gives the appearance of a crab burger but without the price and all the flavor. Nutritious and delicious, these mouth-watering burgers will quickly satisfy all ages.
Snappy Salmon Burgers
Fresh salmon makes all the difference with these sensationally delicious burgers full of snap and pop! Serve with sliced red onions and your favorite condiments.
Makes 8 burgers
2 pounds fresh salmon fillets, skinned
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
Salt and pepper to taste
1 egg white
2 cups crisp rice cereal
1. With knife or food processor, chop salmon into small pieces.
2. In large bowl, mix together salmon, green onions, garlic, lemon juice, dill and season to taste.
3. In another bowl, whisk together egg and egg white and add to salmon mixture.
4. Using your hands, gently mix salmon mixture with cereal (mixture will be loose). Form mixture into burgers.
5. Heat large nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray over medium heat. Cook about 3-4 minutes on each side or until salmon flakes with fork.
Nutritional info per serving: Calories 188, Calories from Fat 29%, Fat 6g, Saturated Fat 1g, Cholesterol 76mg, Sodium 142mg, Carbohydrates 7g, Dietary Fiber 0g, Total Sugars 1g, Protein 25g, Dietary Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 lean meat
Terrific Tip: Salmon patties may be made ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to cook. If grilling, place salmon patties in freezer for about 20-30 minutes and they will hold together better. Salmon is a rich source of heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids, reducing the risk of heart disease.
My summer barbecue menu wouldn’t be complete with out my most popular recipe, Ooey Gooey Squares, another easy KITCHEN 101 favorite. So simple to make with pantry-friendly ingredients that start with a cake mix, this bite of deliciousness will be an all age favorite so grab one hot from the oven so you get to taste it!!!
Anyone that doesn’t have time to cook, in a cooking rut or just beginning will LOVE my cookbook, KITCHEN 101! Summer discount 25% off with TRIM25 plus book already discounted 10% on my website. SHOP HERE!
Check out more of my summer barbecue recipes