The kids are back in school and fall is quickly approaching. Between grocery shopping, hauling the kids and work, who has time to get a nutritious meal on the table for their family. Whether you’re hosting a tailgate party, feeding the family dinner or cooking for a group of kids, my recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup is easy to prepare, affordable and feeds a crowd.
Cooking doesn’t have to be complicated, my philosophy is fresh + convenience = homemade. Also, a great way to cut down cooking time is a well-stocked pantry – it’s like having a permanent shopping list – keep all of your basics on your shelves. This allows you to pull an ingredient out of the pantry and whip up a nutritious meal in minutes without having to stress about making time for the store.
You can garnish the soup with avocado, reduced-fat Cheddar cheese and tortilla strips to add additional flavor.
Chicken Tortilla Soup from Holly Clegg’s trim&TERRIFIC Diabetic Cooking
8 servings/serving size: 1 cup
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch slices
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
6 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
1 (16-ounce) jar salsa
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup frozen corn
4 (6-inch) whole wheat or flour tortillas
1. Preheat oven 350F.
2. In large nonstick saucepot coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté chicken over medium heat 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add onion and garlic and cook until tender, 3 minutes.
3. Add chicken broth, salsa, chili powder, and cumin and bring to boil. Add corn, return to boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Serve with tortilla strips and condiments.
4. Cut tortillas into 1/2-inch strips. Lay strips on baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake 15–20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 218, Calories from fat 17%, Fat 2g, Saturated Fat 0g, Cholesterol 66mg, Sodium 427 mg, Carbohydrate 21g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 4g, Protein 30g, Dietary Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 carbohydrate, 3 very lean meat
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- Perfect for Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey: Chicken Apricot Rice Salad - November 26, 2015
- Homemade Christmas Gift Breads for Teachers & Friends:Chocolate Zucchini Bread - November 26, 2015
- Eggnog!Turn a carton of eggnog into my Eggnog Spice Bundt Cake - November 26, 2015