Who said you can’t have king cake any time of year! Just change your food coloring for whatever holiday you want to celebrate as there’s not a better or more popular recipe than my very favorite addiction, EASY KING CAKE.
King Cake just one of the easy, Louisiana recipes found in my Gulf Coast Favorites cookbook-all healthier!
I turn to my book with Louisiana and southern recipes, Gulf Coast Favorites for my most requested recipe, my King Cake made with crescent rolls!!! People all over say they prefer this easy and fun-to-make king cake more than the bought ones!!!!! I am so excited to have created a SUPER SIMPLE KING CAKE RECIPE from my trim&TERRIFIC GULF COAST FAVORITES cookbook for you to make wherever you live. This pantry-friendly recipe is made within minutes. Made with crescent rolls and food coloring for the icing-you can even let the kids make this one for you. Fun and fantastic, for adults and kids, this is a recipe you will make over and over. My website has tons more healthy, easy recipes for everyday cooking!
King Cake with Cream Cheese Cinnamon Filling from trim&TERRIFIC Gulf Coast Favorites (all your Louisiana favorites-healthier)
Halloween use orange & black, Thanksgiving use autumn colors, Christmas use holiday colors, Valentine’s Day go pink and Easter’s pastel colors for your icing instead of Mardi Gras colors.
Makes 16 servings
2 (8-ounce) cans reduced-fat crescent rolls
4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven 350°F. Coat 10-inch round pizza pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Separate crescent rolls at perforations, into 16 slices. Place slices around prepared pan with points in center. About halfway down from points, press seams together.
3. In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla until creamy. Spread on dough in center where seams have been pressed together.
4. In another small bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon with fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over cream cheese. Fold dough points over filling, then fold bottom of triangle over points forming a circular roll like a king cake.
5. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly, drizzle with colored Mardi Gras Icing.
Mardi Gras Icing:
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1-2 tablespoons skim milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Yellow, green, red, and blue food coloring
1. In small bowl, combine all ingredients, except food color. Divide mixture into three bowls.
2. In first bowl, add a few drops of yellow food coloring. In second bowl, add a few drops of green food coloring. In third bowl, add equal amounts of drops of red and blue food coloring (to create purple).
3. Drizzle over baked cake.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 184 Calories from fat 36% Fat 7 g Saturated Fat 3 g Cholesterol 9 mg Sodium 275 mg Carbohydrate 26 g Dietary Fiber 0 g Sugars 16 g Protein 3 g Diabetic Exchanges 11/2 carbohydrate 11/2 fat