Are you making a special dinner for Valentine’s Day? Even if you are not, this fun playful cake will make your Sweetheart’s day extra sweet! Spouse, kids, friends, or coworkers – all ages will appreciate this delicious festive cake this Valentine’s Day. Last year I had a Valentine’s party at my house…and really got into the Valentine’s Day theme with inexpensive decorations. We all had so much fun and here is a glimpse of our fun night! You will love the easy festive desserts and go-to party menus in my trim&TERRIFIC KITCHEN 101: Secrets to Cooking Confidence cookbook.
Strawberry Heart Cake
This awesome cake is too good to save for only Valentine’s Day. Turn into a round layered cake year-round with 9-inch round pans. It begins with a cake mix and is easy to make.
Makes 16 servings
1 (18.25-ounce) box white cake mix
1/4 cup canola oil
2 egg whites
1 (3-ounce) package strawberry gelatin
1/2 (10-ounce) package frozen sliced strawberries (1/2 cup) (reserve extra for frosting)
1/2 cup skim milk
Strawberry Frosting (recipe follows)
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat one 9 x 9 x 2-inch square pan and one 9-inch round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In mixing bowl, combine cake mix, oil, eggs, egg whites, strawberry gelatin, 1/2 cup strawberries, milk, mixing until well blended. Divide batter, pour into prepared pans. Bake 25 – 30 minutes, or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pans, cool completely.
3. To form heart: Place square cake on large platter. Cut round cake in half, place each half with cut side next to square side. You may need to trim corners. This now makes a heart. Turn cakes so square cake’s pointed end is down and round halves are at top. Frost heart cake with Strawberry Frosting (see recipe below).
3 tablespoons butter
1 (16-ounce) box confectioners’ sugar
1/2 (10-ounce) package frozen sliced strawberries (1/2 cup)
1. In medium mixing bowl, mix together butter, confectioners’ sugar, remaining strawberries until well blended.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 336, Protein (g) 3, Carbohydrate (g) 60, Fat (g) 9, Calories from Fat (%) 25, Saturated Fat (g) 2, Dietary Fiber (g) 1, Cholesterol (mg) 27, Sodium (mg) 262 Diabetic Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate, 2 fat
For more delicious desserts visit www.hollyclegg.com
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- Potato Latkes with Apple Walnut Topping-Hanukkah - November 29, 2015
- BEST Mediterranean Dip:Show Stopper Holiday Party Appetizer! - November 27, 2015
- Perfect for Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey: Chicken Apricot Rice Salad - November 26, 2015