Easy Breakfast Casserole Recipe with Mexican Taste
Easy breakfast casserole recipe doesnt’ get tastier than my FAVORITE Mexican Breakfast Bake. This make-ahead recipe for breakfast casserole, Mexican Breakfast Bake is from my cookbook, Too Hot in the Kitchen. This cookbook has some of my favorite, tasty recipes. I love to plan ahead and nothing is easier than to wake up in the morning and pop in the oven this quick breakfast casserole. It is absolutely DELICIOUS!! I sometimes make this scurmptious southwestern breakfast recipe to keep in my refrigerator all week and I eat for breakfast or sometimes even dinner.
Eggs Are Healthy! Enjoy my Quick Breakfast Casserole
We know bran is full of fiber and blueberries are brain food but you may be cutting out yummy foods previously deemed bad for you and missing out on their surprising health benefits. Sound too good to be true? Not this time. You do not have to deprive yourself to enjoy a healthy nutrient-rich diet. Although eggs have previously been labeled as artery-clogging, they are now a highly recommended protein-rich food full of vitamins and minerals such as choline and lutein – vital for brain function, eye health, pregnancy and fetal development. At only 70 calories per egg, each provides 13 essential nutrients, vitamins and high-quality protein. Although eggs do contain cholesterol, recent studies have shown that they actually contain 14% less than previously thought at 185 mg cholesterol per egg.
Great Way for Eggs is in my Easy Breakfast Casserole Recipe
The American Heart Association recommends eating 300 mg or less of cholesterol per day and you may easily enjoy a whole egg several times per week for it’s nutritional benefits. Or whip up a few egg whites to still get that great source of protein. Too much of a good thing can be bad for you if done in excess but the key is to treat yourself occasionally. By doing so you will also be boosting your health with nutritional benefits! So, enjoy my easy breakfast casserole recipe that’s healthy, delicious and the perfect make-ahead breakfast casserole
Mexican Breakfast Bake from Holly Clegg’s trim&TERRIFIC Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle At Any Age
Simple ingredients magically create this make-ahead scrumptious easy breakfast casserole recipe fulfilling everyone’s expectations in my house.
Makes 8-10 servings
1 (4-ounce) can green chilies
8 ounces ground breakfast turkey sausage
1 onion, chopped
1 red, green, or yellow bell pepper, cored and chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon chili powder
4 egg whites
2 cups fat-free half-and-half
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 1/2 cups reduced-fat shredded Mexican blend cheese
5 (8-inch) 98% fat-free flour tortillas, cut into quarters
1. Coat 13x9x2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread green chilies along bottom of dish.
2. In large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble sausage until starts to brown. Add onion and bell pepper, cooking until sausage is done and vegetables tender. Add garlic and chili powder. Remove from heat. Cool.
3. In large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, and half-and-half. In another bowl, combine green onion and cheese.
4. Spoon one-third of sausage mixture over chilies in baking dish. Top with one-third tortilla quarters and one-third cheese mixture. Repeat layers, ending with cheese. Pour egg mixture evenly over casserole and refrigerate, covered, at least 6 hours or overnight.
5. Preheat oven 350°F. If using glass baking dish, place in cold oven. Bake 50-60 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown or knife inserted into custard comes out clean.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 262 Calories from fat 28% Fat 7g Saturated Fat 3g Cholesterol 129mg Sodium 578mg Carbohydrate 23g Dietary Fiber 2g Sugars 5g Protein 18g Dietary Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 lean meat
Another Morning Favoirte
If you really want to wow everyone, you can serve my amazing and most popular Blueberry Muffin Streusel Cake from Too Hot in the Kitchen cookbook. This is one of those recipes I LOVE and I can’t quit eating, however, it is trim & terrific!
For more information, visit www.hollyclegg.com or The Healthy Cooking Blog for more recipes and tips.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- How to Serve Safe Food – Terrific Tailgate Tips - October 19, 2016
- Sweet Potato Skin Appetizers – For Football Tailgate Party - October 17, 2016
- Simple Baked Chicken – Eat Protein for Chemotherapy Diet-Cancer Treatment - October 16, 2016