Celebrate with Healthy Cinco de Mayo Recipes
I think everyone loves to celebrate Cinco de Mayo no matter where you live as it is just a FUN day. So, I course, I celebrate with easy Cinco de Mayo recipes and as many of you know, I really love southwestern food! Of course, I have to start with dessert, my fabulous Margarita Cake with lime and a cake mix which is one of the best Cinco de Mayo recipes! Wherever I take this cake, people rave about the subtle lime margarita flavor in a light refreshing cake.
I have so many trim & terrific southwestern recipes from enchiladas to nachos, all easy-to-prepare and healthier! Today I want to share with you all my favorites with a margarita flair. Add these easy Cinco de Mayo recipes to your menus year round!
Three Favorite Easy Cinco de Mayo Recipes -Margaritas rule!
Three favorites come to mind, all different but all have margarita in their title and taste from my cookbook, Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle at Any Age (a fun cookbook great for mom, sister, friend or you filled with easy, trendy recipes)! Best of all these are healthy Cinco de Mayo recipes!!!! Margarita Shrimp (see recipe below) can be used as an appetizer or an entree and wow are the flavors fantastic. And, nothing is better than my easy Margarita Cake from Too Hot in the Kitchen. Sweet and salty, light and refreshing,and starts with a white cake mix flavored with non-alcoholic margarita mix and lime, on a pretzel crust makes quite an “ole!”
Margaritas For Your Skin?
Last, yes, a margarita can be good for your skin with my Margarita Salt Body Buffer from Too Hot in the Kitchen. Lime and tequila are natural antiseptics so help detoxify skin and improve tone and texture. Good for hands — felt so soft afterwards. So, don’t settle for just a margarita drink, when you can have my healthy and delicious easy Cinco de Mayo recipes all with margarita in them!
Margarita Shrimp from Too Hot in the Kitchen
All the margarita makings in this recipe will put you in the mood and the fiesta of flavors will insure fun. I like to serve with avocado slices as an appetizer. Orange juice may be substituted for orange liqueur.
Makes 4 servings
4 tablespoons orange liqueur, divided
3 tablespoons lime juice, divided
2 tablespoons tequila
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 1/2 pounds medium-large peeled shrimp
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3/4 cup fat-free chicken broth
Finely chopped cilantro, garnish
1 .Combine 1 tablespoon orange liqueur, 1 tablespoon lime juice, tequila, 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic, jalapeno pepper, salt and cilantro in resealable plastic bag; add shrimp. Refrigerate 1 hour.
2. In large nonstick skillet, add shrimp, discarding marinade and cook until shrimp are done, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from pan.
3. In same pan, add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and add flour, stirring for one minute. Gradually add chicken broth, stirring, and bring to boil, cooking until thickened.
4. Stir in remaining 3 tablespoons orange liqueur and 2 tablespoons lime juice. Heat and return shrimp to pan. Serve. Sprinkle with cilantro, if desired.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 271 Calories from fat 28% Fat 7g Saturated Fat 1g Cholesterol 252mg Sodium 364mg Carbohydrate 10g Dietary Fiber 0g Sugars 6g Protein 28g Dietary Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 4 lean meat
Margarita Salt Body Buffer from Too Hot in the Kitchen
Makes 1 1/2 cups (1/4 cup per body)
1 cup fine sea salt
Juice of one lime
2 ounces olive oil
3/4 ounces white tequila
1. In bowl, mix together sea salt, olive oil, lime, and white tequila. In the shower, rub mixture onto damp skin in gentle circular motion. If salt feels too gritty, add more olive oil.
For more information, visit About Holly or The Healthy Cooking Blog for more recipes and tips.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- Diabetic Friendly Desserts – Berry Parfait Tops My Best Berry Desserts - March 23, 2017
- Louisiana Crawfish Jambalaya Recipe- Fast and Fantastic! - March 21, 2017
- How To Eat Healthy On The Run: Restaurants to Homemade Granola Bars Recipe - March 20, 2017