Easy Halloween Treats – Orange and Black Ooey Gooey Squares
Halloween is a time when I always have extra kids and families around. When it comes to easy Halloween treats, I turn to my most popular recipes of all times. My daughter was known for Ooey Gooey Squares from my KITCHEN 101 cookbook (easiest book) in high school and now I keep the ingredients in my pantry to make whenever I want a fast and fantastic treat. This year I got into the Halloween spirit and used red and yellow food coloring to make the filling orange. The chocolate chips gave the burst of black making it a fun Halloween homemade treat!
HALLOWEEN SPECIAL: Enter BOO for 25% discount on my cookbooks:
Ooey Gooey Bars Make Delicious Easy Halloween Treats
What Halloween homemade treat can be better than orange and black? Use dark chocolate chips for better health and rich chocolate contrast in flavor to the sweet orange cream cheese filling! You sometimes can find orange food coloring, but if not, just use red and yellow. For a switch, you can also use a Devil’s Food cake mix for a “black” chcolate bottom. If your scared of cooking, this recipe will cure that fear!!
Ooey Gooey Squares from KITCHEN 101 cookbook
This recipe has probably been my most requested and all-time favorite bar cookie for all ages and, best of all, it so easy and quick.
Makes 48 squares
1 (18.25-ounce) box yellow cake mix
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tablespoon water
1 (8-ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese
1 (16-ounce) box confectioners’ sugar
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat 13x9x2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In mixing bowl, beat together cake mix, butter, egg, and water until well mixed. Spread batter into prepared pan.
3. In mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, egg whites, and vanilla. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour this mixture over batter in pan. Bake 40-50 minutes or until top is golden brown. Cool to room temperature and cut into squares.
Nutritional info per serving: Calories 138, Calories from Fat 36%, Fat 6g, Saturated Fat 3g, Cholesterol 13mg, Sodium 112mg, Carbohydrates 21g, Dietary Fiber 0g, Total Sugars 17g, Protein 2g, Dietary Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
Terrific Tip: I always keep these pantry-friendly ingredients for whenever I need a fast emergency dessert.
I think Halloween is so fun and I have more easy Halloween treats for you like my Halloween Slice and Bake Chocolate Chip Spider Cookie Cake!
For more information, visit www.hollyclegg.com or The Healthy Cooking Blog for more recipes and tips.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- How to Serve Safe Food – Terrific Tailgate Tips - October 19, 2016
- Sweet Potato Skin Appetizers – For Football Tailgate Party - October 17, 2016
- Simple Baked Chicken – Eat Protein for Chemotherapy Diet-Cancer Treatment - October 16, 2016