Easy Mardi Gras King Cake with Crescent Rolls
Easy king Cake recipe is what I make every year for Mardi Gras. This New Orleans king cake is so simple! Plus, it is my most popular recipe and everyone can’t wait to have me make it. I have had people say they like this recipe better than the ones you buy in the store. And, honestly, you can whip this up in minutes with reduced-fat crescent rolls–no complicated yeast dough here. Another popular recipe I always make is my Candied Pecan Brie, a party staple at my house with rave reviews. It seems there’s always extra people around this time of year.
Easy King Cake Recipe: My Most Popular Recipe Ever!!!
No matter the time of year, this is probably my most popular recipe. I keep it seasonal by just changing my icing colors to go with whatever theme holiday it is. Starting with reduced-fat crescent rolls with a luscious rich cream cheese filling with lots of cinnamon makes this recipe hard to beat for the taste and it’s so simple.
Join me in my kitchen to make the king cake! SUBSCRIBE to my YouTube channel for the latest recipe!
|From Twitter: @PastorJoelle (From IL) Beautiful King Cakes! My favorite recipe comes from Holly Clegg: We taste-tested your recipe against a yeast-based recipe and a store bought cake. Yours won easily!! The yeast-based recipe I used created a Gambinos-esque recipe & the store bought was from Kroger|
Easy King Cake Recipe with Cream Cheese Cinnamon Filling from trim&TERRIFIC Gulf Coast Favorites (all your Louisiana favorites-healthier)
Check out the YouTube video to watch me making this delicious treat! Scroll down for step by step photos!!!
Makes 16 servings
2 (8-ounce) cans reduced-fat crescent rolls
4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Mardi Gras Icing (see recipe below)
1. Preheat oven 350°F. Coat 10-inch round pizza pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Separate crescent rolls at perforations, into 16 slices. Place slices around prepared pan with points in center. About halfway down from points, press seams together.
3. In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla until creamy. Spread on dough in center where seams have been pressed together.
4. In another small bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon with fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over cream cheese. Fold dough points over filling, then fold bottom of triangle over points forming a circular roll like a king cake.
5. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly, drizzle with colored Mardi Gras Icing.
Mardi Gras Icing:
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1-2 tablespoons skim milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Yellow, green, red, and blue food coloring
1. In small bowl, combine all ingredients, except food color. Divide mixture into three bowls
2. In first bowl, add a few drops of yellow food coloring. In second bowl, add a few drops of green food coloring. In third bowl, add equal amounts of drops of red and blue food coloring (to create purple). Drizzle over baked cake.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 184 Calories from fat 36% Fat 7 g Saturated Fat 3 g Cholesterol 9 mg Sodium 275 mg Carbohydrate 26 g Dietary Fiber 0 g Sugars 16 g Protein 3 g Diabetic Exchanges 11/2 carbohydrate 11/2 fat
STEP BY STEP PHOTOS: EASY KING CAKE RECIPE
SHOP & SAVE AN ADDITIONAL 25%: SHOP with LA25 for 25% OFF
For more information, visit www.hollyclegg.com or The Healthy Cooking Blog for more recipes and tips.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- Football Centerpieces Easy and Affordable Plus 3 Top Tailgating Recipes - September 21, 2016
- Best Quinoa Salad Recipes – Summer to Fall - September 20, 2016
- Easy Remoulade Sauce Recipe Delicious with Louisiana Crawfish - September 13, 2016