Easy Red Velvet Cake recipe turns into a Trifle any time of the year!
Whether for the holidays, Valentine’s Day or any time of year, my Red Velvet Cake recipe is one of my very favorite desserts and you must try turning into this simple, indulgent trifle for a crowd pleasing recipe. I love the fact this delicious trifle is make-ahead, serves a crowd and gives you the “wow” effect when serving. This Easy Red Velvet Cake recipe plus other southern sweet tooth favorites are from my Gulf Coast Favorites cookbook (yes, there is a story about this recipe).
Story behind the Easy Red Velvet Cake recipe or Trifle?
This dessert also holds one of my favorite “make-it-work” stories. When my Mother was making this cake for a family gathering, the layers fell apart. My motto is ‘if a chocolate soufflé falls, serve it as a chocolate pudding…never start over!’ She was upset, but I told her just to grab a trifle bowl, and the outcome was the most popular dessert of the night, Red Velvet Trifle. Add fresh fruit, such as red strawberries for a stunning presentation everyone will love. I can never decide which way to make it so the choice is yours! I think everyone should have a trifle bowl and here’s a good trifle bowl or you can also just use a large glass bowl–you want to see the layers of the creation!
Easy Red Velvet Cake recipe from Holly Clegg’s trim&TERRIFIC Gulf Coast Favorites
Perfect for Valentine’s Day, Christmas, or any special occasion, this southern classic never goes out of style. Take a short cut by using cake mix to effortlessly prepare a beautiful and deliciously rich luscious cake. And layer with berries, icing and whipped topping for the trifle version.
Makes 16–20 servings
1 (18.25-ounce) box yellow cake mix
2 tablespoons cocoa
1/4 cup canola oil
3 egg whites
1 (1-ounce) bottle red food coloring
1 cup skim milk
1 tablespoon vinegar
Cream Cheese Icing (recipe below)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat three 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, cocoa, oil, egg, egg whites, and food coloring. In a small bowl, combine milk and vinegar, and add to mixing bowl. Mix until well combined.
3. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 15–20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool layers on a rack and ice with Cream Cheese Icing.
Cream Cheese Icing
1 (8-ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons butter
1 (16-ounce) box confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add confectioners’ sugar and beat until light. Add vanilla.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 272, Calories from fat 29%, Fat 9g, Saturated Fat 4g, Cholesterol 23mg, Sodium 246mg, Carbohydrate 45g, Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 35g, Protein 3g, Diabetic Exchanges: 3 carbohydrate, 2 fat
Terrific Tidbit: For another fantastic dessert option, turn this cake into a trifle by layering cake, cream cheese icing, and nonfat whipped topping in a trifle or glass bowl.
Check out all my easy healthy dessert recipes!
For more information, visit www.hollyclegg.com or The Healthy Cooking Blog for more recipes and tips.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- Football Centerpieces Easy and Affordable Plus 3 Top Tailgating Recipes - September 21, 2016
- Best Quinoa Salad Recipes – Summer to Fall - September 20, 2016
- Easy Remoulade Sauce Recipe Delicious with Louisiana Crawfish - September 13, 2016