Easy Watermelon Salsa makes Great Watermelon Salad Recipe!
Easy Watermelon Salsa is an easy watermelon salad or salsa recipe with sweet watermelon, fresh mint, salty olives, and feta bursting with sweet and salty in each mouthful. How do you pick a ripe watermelon? I have Six Top Tips to pick the right ripe watermelon.” Watermelon is usually available from early May to September. They are at their peak from mid-to late June. I love to use watermelon in salads but I really love my easy salsa recipe that also can be used as a salad. It adds a sweet touch, and though water accounts for over 90% of its weight, it is rich in potassium, Vitamins A & C.
What to do with Leftover watermelon? What about Easy Watermelon Salsa?
It seems you always have leftover watermelon and what to do with it? Now, you can also find it in the grocery already cut for convenience. Either way, whether it is leftover or you purchase it cut, you will absolutely love my easy Watermelon Salsa recipe. This mouthwatering recipe is from my Too Hot in the Kitchen cookbook, Watermelon Salsa recipe with feta is a sweet and salty dip you will want to dig into! You really can serve this recipe as a dip or refreshing salad. Another recipe I also make all the time is the Watermelon and Tomato Salad from my arthritis cookbook. Fortunately, you can find watermelon year round as I would hate to go without either of these spectacular simple recipes.
My Tips for How to Pick the Right Watermelon:
Tips to picking the right Watermelon:
- Your watermelon should feel heavy for its size; compare to similar melon.
- Rind shouldn’t have any soft spots, gashes and should be dull and barely yield to pressure.
- A good melon has a symmetrical shape; no matter if round or oval
- Look on the bottom of the melon and you’ll find a discolored spot where melon rested on the ground when was growing. If this spot is light green, the melon is not yet ripe. If the spot is a yellowish-white color, the melon is probably ripe.
- You can also test for ripeness by scratching the surface of watermelon with your fingernail. A greenish-white color beneath outermost layer of the rind indicates a ripe watermelon.
- If you are watermelon thumper-a ripe melon will sound as if the fruit is hollow. You don’t want to hear a thud or a tone that is high in pitch.
Watermelon and Feta Salsa from my 30 minute cookbook Too Hot in The Kitchen
An unusual combination, yet, one of my summer favorites, watermelon salsa, with sweet watermelon, fresh mint, salty olives, and feta bursting with sweet and salty in each mouthful.
Makes 16 (1/4) cup servings
4 cups chopped watermelon
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/3 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
2 tablespoons chopped Kalamata olives
2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
1. In small bowl mix together all ingredients. Serve.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 29 Calories from fat 36% Fat 1g Saturated Fat 0g Cholesterol 1mg Sodium 98mg Carbohydrate 4g Dietary Fiber 0g Sugars 3g Protein 1g Dietary Exchanges: 1/2 fruit
Spicy Advice: Try the red pepper seasoned rice vinegar for a little extra zing. Raid a salad bar for fresh Kalamata olives-it makes a difference in this fresh watermelon salsa. Check out my easy, healthy watermelon recipe
For more information, visit About Holly or The Healthy Cooking Blog for more recipes and tips.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- Best Chicken Breast Recipe – Spicy Glazed Chicken - March 28, 2017
- March Madness Recipes with Glen Big Baby Davis – Healthy Hamburger Dip - March 27, 2017
- Multiple Myeloma Cancer Diet -What Is Multiple Myeloma and What to Eat? - March 27, 2017