Load Up On Fresh Cranberry Recipes!
Tis the season for cranberries and you are going to want to stock up for these fresh cranberry recipes! When you think of cranberries you usually think of cranberry sauce that accompanies the turkey, but there is so much more to these little jewels! Rich in antioxidants, cranberry season is now, and they are readily available in supermarkets so stock up as they can be kept frozen for up to a year. I have some fabulous cranberry healthy easy recipes! Cranberries can be a part of healthy cooking. Both these delicious blueberry recipes from Gulf Coast Favorites became festive fresh cranberry recipes this season.
HOLIDAY SPECIAL: Get an autographed cookbook: SHOP ON MY SITE WITH DISCOUNT CODE: HOLIDAY FOR 25% OFF ALL COOKBOOKS!!!!
Use Cranberries in Place of Blueberries in Recipes
Cranberries add a nice tart zing to salads, quick breads and desserts and mix perfectly with tangy seasonal citrus flavors like in this Sweet Potato, Orange and Cranberry Muffin. I used cranberries instead of blueberries in this Lemon Blueberry (Cranberry) Bundt Cake from Gulf Coast Favorites for a jazzed up delectable blend of cranberry and citrus flavor. Both fresh cranberry recipes are from my Gulf Coast Favorites cookbook, full of Southern Louisiana favorite recipes and make the perfect holiday gift for just about anyone, from neighbors to grandmas! When fresh cranberries are in season, broaden your cranberry recipes by using blueberry recipes. You will love it!
Sweet Potato, Orange, and Cranberry Muffins from Gulf Coast Favorites cookbook
Makes 12–18 muffins
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained and mashed, or 1 cup fresh sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup orange juice
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon grated orange rind
1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven 400ºF.
2. In bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
3. In another bowl, combine sweet potatoes, brown sugar, oil, orange juice, egg, and orange rind. Add orange juice mixture and yogurt to dry ingredients, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in cranberries.
4. Spoon batter into paper-lined or coated muffin tins, filling about 3/4 full. Bake 20–25 minutes or until done.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 153, Calories from fat (%) 20, Fat (g) 4, Saturated Fat (g) 0, Cholesterol (mg) 12, Sodium (mg) 91, Carbohydrate (g) 28, Dietary Fiber (g) 2, Sugars (g) 12, Protein (g) 3, Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat
Terrific Tidbit: Orange rind may be found dried in the spice section or may be freshly grated from the orange.
Lemon Cranberry Pound Cake from Gulf Coast Favorites
Makes 16-20 servings
1 (18.25-ounce) box lemon cake mix
1 (8-ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese
1 1/3 cups water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups cranberries
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat Bundt pan coated with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In mixing bowl, mix together cake mix, cream cheese, eggs, water, vanilla until creamy. Fold in blueberries and pecans.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Do not overcook.
4. Cool in pan 10 minutes, invert onto serving dish.
5. Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix together lemon juice and confectioners’ sugar. Drizzle over warm cake.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 191, Calories from fat (%) 32, Fat (g) 7, Saturated Fat (g) 3, Cholesterol (mg) 29, Sodium (mg) 225, Carbohydrate (g) 30, Dietary Fiber (g) 1, Sugars (g) 20, Protein (g) 3, Diabetic Exchanges: 2 carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat
Terrific Tidbit: Frozen cranberries may be used if fresh are not available. Do not defrost the berries before adding to the cake.
Check out my holiday recipes more holiday-ready easy healthy fresh cranberry recipes.
For more information, visit About Holly or The Healthy Cooking Blog for more recipes and tips.