Strawberries are so sweet from the Farmer’s Market
I was recently in San Francisco visiting my daughter and we went to the Farmer’s Market at the Marina and we had the best time tasting and having the best dumplings I ever had. Well, we ended up bringing home strawberries that were so sweet (loved all the sampling) and I couldn’t wait to find a fresh strawberry recipe to use them in! Nothing beats when pump, juicy, sweet strawberries are in season. My favorite fresh strawberry recipe is my Strawberry and Kiwi Mixed Green Salad from the Lovin’ No Oven chapter in Too Hot in the Kitchen,
Fresh Strawberry Recipe Using Strawberries, Spring greens, Spiced Walnuts
At the Farmer’s Market, we bought strawberries, spring greens and walnuts plus much more of course. Haley said she would add these ingredients to a salad. I always say toss fruit in your salad and maybe all these years she had been listening. My favorite salad recipe is below but I always say cooking is creative and here’s the salad Haley put together. She didn’t have any salad dressings so we topped it with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, a must have pantry staple just for salad emergencies just like this.
Strawberry and Kiwi Mixed Green Salad Tastes as Good as it Looks
I like to serve this fresh strawberry recipe when I have girlfriends over for lunch or even brunch. It’s light and refreshing, and using Louisiana strawberries makes it to die for! This salad is so easy to make, but your guests won’t be able to taste that it only took 5 minutes (if that!) to prepare! If you want to make it a meal then add a few strips of leftover grilled or rotisserie chicken, which is even easier! Also, make a little extra dressing to set aside… get creative and see what else you use it on… and then let me know!
Lunch time ladies, I’m hungry! Hope you enjoy everyone’s favorite chapter, in Too Hot in the Kitchen from the Lovin’ No Oven Chapter (all recipes don’t need cooking!!!!) and my Strawberry and Kiwi Mixed Green Salad.
Strawberry and Kiwi Mixed Green Salad from Too Hot in the Kitchen
Enliven a salad with strawberry and kiwi to add vivid colors and taste – toss with a light flavorful vinaigrette and your salad makes a statement! 6 Weight Watcher SmartPoints
Makes 6-8 servings
8 cups mixed greens (Bibb, red leaf, spinach)
1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
2 kiwis, peeled and sliced (Have you ever tried one of these peelers? Let me know how they are!)
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 green onion, chopped
1/3 cup raspberry vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/4 cup canola oil
Spiced walnuts, optional (recipe below)
1. In large bowl, mix together greens, strawberries and kiwi.
2. In small bowl, whisk together sesame seeds, green onion, vinegar, Dijon mustard, and oil. Refrigerate vinaigrette until ready to use.
3. When ready to toss salad, add dressing gradually, serve immediately.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 106 Calories from fat 65% Fat 8g Saturated Fat 1g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 42mg Carbohydrate 8g Dietary Fiber 3g Sugars 4g Protein 2g Dietary Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 fat, 6 Weight Watcher SmartPoints
These wonderful walnuts with a touch of spice, heat and sweet can be tossed in salads, served on cheese trays or eaten as a snack
Makes 8 (1/4 cup) servings
2 cups walnut halves
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon round cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon canola oil
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Spread walnuts on baking skeet and bake about 5-7 minutes or until golden.
3. In small bowl, combine sugar, salt, garlic powder, cumin, cinnamon, and cayenne. In nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add nuts and stir to coat with oil. Add seasoning mix, stirring until nuts coated. Remove to paper towel to cool.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 99 Calories from fat 46% Fat 5g Saturated Fat 1g Cholesterol 4mg Sodium 210mg Carbohydrate 8g Dietary Fiber 3g Sugars 4g Protein 6g Dietary Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
For more easy strawberry recipes.
For more information, visit About Holly or The Healthy Cooking Blog for more recipes and tips.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- Easy Muffuletta Salad Recipe -Jazzed Up Amazing Muffuletta Pasta Salad - February 20, 2017
- Easy Chicken and Dumplings Recipe with Rotisserie Chicken & Bisquick - February 19, 2017
- EASY Muffuletta Sandwich Recipe – 4-Ingredient Italian Mini Muffuletta Recipe - February 16, 2017