When is Louisiana Crawfish Season?
Louisiana Crawfish Season – we all look so forward to it!!! Crawdaddy, mudbug, crayfish, – however you name them – they are a staple in delicious Southern dishes. That’s why I am so excited and honored to be named the new spokesperson for the Louisiana Crawfish and Promotions Board! Though the season is from late February to mid-May; I stock up on tails so now to keep in my freezer to enjoy in crawfish recipes like my Louisiana Crawfish Cakes from my Gulf Coast Favorites Cookbook: 30 Minute Recipes from my LOUISIANA KITCHEN all year long!
Louisiana Crawfish Season Facts
- Louisiana accounts for 90 – 95 percent of the total U.S. production yearly.
- In Louisiana, most crawfish is harvested between December- June with the peak season being March – May.
- When it comes to crawfish – always ask before you eat!
- COOL is the USDA’s mandatory country of origin labeling program.
- Read the label VERY closely making sure the country of origin is USA and not just ‘Distributed” in the USA.
- Often Chinese crawfish is labeled with Cajun sounding names; however under the USDA COOL program, these crawfish must be clearly labeled Product of China.
- Ask before you eat! By choosing only Louisiana crawfish, not only are you supporting US agriculture but you are also buying a healthier food. Chinese crawfish may contain certain banned antibiotics strictly tested for in the US but not in China.
- Crawfish averages 15% yield meat per pound; therefore it takes 6 – 7 pounds of live crawfish to get 1 pound of peeled tails.
My Favorite Crawfish Recipes During Louisiana Crawfish Season and All Year!
- For meal reference: plan on 3-4 pounds of live crawfish per person per meal or 1 pound of tails per 3 people like in my trim and terrific Deluxe Crawfish Pizza and Louisiana Crawfish Fettuccine from Gulf Coast Favorites cookbook.
- Crawfish are a great source of protein, as well as low in calories, fat, saturated fat and a good source of vitamins – including biotin, calcium, iron, niacin, phosphorus, selenium, Vitamins A, B-6, and B-12.
- After washing the fat content from crawfish tail meat, they only contain about 1% of the RDA or Recommended Daily Allowance.
- During their molting process crawfish can regenerate lost limbs and claws.
Louisiana southern recipes in my Gulf Coast Favorites cookbook. If you’re a Cajun, Creole Louisiana fan and want healthier options for all your favorites, you can also get an autographed cookbook from my website with discount code GULF25 for 25% off!
For more information, visit About Holly or The Healthy Cooking Blog for more recipes and tips.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- Easy Muffuletta Salad Recipe -Jazzed Up Amazing Muffuletta Pasta Salad - February 20, 2017
- Easy Chicken and Dumplings Recipe with Rotisserie Chicken & Bisquick - February 19, 2017
- EASY Muffuletta Sandwich Recipe – 4-Ingredient Italian Mini Muffuletta Recipe - February 16, 2017