You guys requested more breakfast items that are weekday friendly so hang in there, I’m working on it. I found my recipe for Banana Yam Bread… and it is delicious! You really won’t believe this as it is diabetic friendly!!! You can make this bread the night before and have it for breakfast. Cut some fresh fruit up and have it with the bread as well. If you want to indulge smear a little bit of reduced fat cream cheese on your slice (or even peanut butter if you love peanut butter!). You can also wrap your piece in a damp paper towel and microwave it for a few seconds for a warm moist piece the next morning. Hope you enjoy this one! You will love my new cookbook, KITCHEN 101 has it has a “D” by all diabetic-friendly recipes and KITCHEN 101 includes such easy, fabulous recipes.
Banana Yam Bread from Holly Clegg’s trim&TERRIFIC Diabetic Cooking
16 servings/serving size: 1 slice
1/2 cup mashed bananas (about 1)
1 cup mashed sweet potatoes (Louisiana yams)
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg white
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven 350º F. Coat 9x5x3-in nonstick loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In large bowl, mix together bananas, sweet potatoes, brown sugar, oil, vanilla, egg, egg white. In small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon.
3. Stir flour mixture into banana mixture, mixing just until combined. Stir in pecans. Bake 40-45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Nutritional information per serving
Protein (g) 3
Carbohydrate (g) 18
Fat (g) 6
Calories from Fat (%) 39
Saturated Fat (g) 1
Dietary Fiber (g) 1
Sugars (g) 7
Cholesterol (mg) 13
Sodium (mg) 94
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
Terrific Tidbit: One 15-oz can of sweet potatoes= 1 c fresh cooked – or leftover sweet potatoes work fine too.
Check out more easy diabetic recipes.
For more information, visit www.hollyclegg.com or The Healthy Cooking Blog for more recipes and tips.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- How to Serve Safe Food – Terrific Tailgate Tips - October 19, 2016
- Sweet Potato Skin Appetizers – For Football Tailgate Party - October 17, 2016
- Simple Baked Chicken – Eat Protein for Chemotherapy Diet-Cancer Treatment - October 16, 2016