What Makes Sweet Potato Corn Chowder Recipe So Special?
This sweet potato corn chowder recipe is the perfect comfort food for cooler fall weather! When the temperature drops, there is nothing I crave more than a warm pot of soup simmering on the stove and this amazing corn chowder recipe is full of nutrient rich veggies. Chunky Corn Chowder with Kale and Sweet Potato is from the Anti-Inflammatory Carotenoid chapter of my Eating Well to Fight Arthritis cookbook and is a delicious vegetarian freezer friendly meal. The recipe is even diabetic!
Veggie and Nutrition Rich Sweet Potato Corn Chowder Recipe
Concerned about kale in your corn chowder? Don’t be! Keep kale a part of your regular menu as only 1 cup provides a good source of fiber, 15% of your daily calcium recommended intake, 180% of vitamin A, and 200% of vitamin C! You know sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin A and carotenoids by their rich orange color – providing powerful anti-inflammatory antioxidants found to have anti-cancer, anti-oxidant, and immune boosting properties.
Chunky Corn Chowder with Kale and Sweet Potato from Holly Clegg’s Eating Well to Fight Arthritis cookbook
Corn chowder packed with fabulous flavors and good nutrition; all in one bowl.
Makes 8 (1-cup) servings
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups skim milk
2 cups low sodium fat-free vegetable or chicken broth
1 (16-ounce) package frozen corn
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups chopped kale
1. In large nonstick pot, heat oil and sauté onion, celery and garlic until tender, 5-7 minutes. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly one minute.
2. Gradually add milk and broth; bring to boil, stirring several minutes or until mixture thickens. Lower heat and add corn and sweet potato, cooking until sweet potato is tender, 6-8 minutes. Season to taste. Stir in kale, cooking several minutes.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 186, Calories from Fat 18%, Fat 4g, Saturated Fat 1g, Cholesterol 1mg, Sodium 91mg, Carbohydrates 34g, Dietary Fiber 4g, Total Sugars 9g, Protein 6g, Dietary Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
Terrific Tip: If you want the sweet potato corn chowder recipe a little thicker, dissolve two teaspoons cornstarch in a little water and add. After refrigerating leftovers, if too thick, add more broth.
Find more fall weather Soup recipes.
For more information, visit www.hollyclegg.com or The Healthy Cooking Blog for more recipes and tips.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- How to Serve Safe Food – Terrific Tailgate Tips - October 19, 2016
- Sweet Potato Skin Appetizers – For Football Tailgate Party - October 17, 2016
- Simple Baked Chicken – Eat Protein for Chemotherapy Diet-Cancer Treatment - October 16, 2016