Holiday Dessert Party with My Easy Red Velvet Trifle Recipe
My Easy Red Velvet Trifle recipe is perfect for a holiday dessert party. Inexpensive and time efficient,a holiday dessert party fits in with anyone’s busy December party plans. Everyone has time to make one more last stop and people especially make time for something sweet. I serve a variety of desserts and they include pick ups, cold desserts such as trifles, and cakes. My easy Red Velvet Cake recipe in Gulf Coast Favorites magically turns into Red Velvet Trifle. I love to add berries to the layers. I also look forward to eggnog to make my trim&TERRIFIC Eggnog Spice Cake from Too Hot in the Kitchen. My dessert of the season is my Red Velvet Cheesecake from KITCHEN 101!
Holiday Dessert Party Tips
- Make ahead what you can.
- Most brownies, bar cookies and cheesecakes freeze well.
- Order from your favorite bakery to supplement homemade treats.
- Serve wine, champagne and assorted flavored coffees.
- Dessert parties are less expensive because food cost is less and people don’t drink as much.
- People come and go at dessert party
Holiday Budget-Friendly Ideas
Decorations can be budget friendly by taking advantage of glitz and glitter. Use gold ornament balls of different sizes, cream colored assorted candles, gold napkins and accessories. This keeps flowers to a minimum and keeps the cost down. What to drink? Have a coffee bar with flavored coffees condiments from sugar to mini-chocolate chips. I like to serve champagne in a flute with berries.
I love to make trifles as you can make ahead of time, they serve a crowd, and make a wonderful presentation. Keep a trifle bowl like this one on hand to whip up my favorite holiday trifle which actually is my Red Velvet Cake recipe that flopped one time so I turned it into a trifle!
Easy Red Velvet Trifle from Gulf Coast Favorites cookbook
Perfect holiday dessert-with cake mix, berries and whipped topping. A classic Red Velvet cake turns into a trifle by layering cake, cream cheese icing, berries, and nonfat whipped topping in a trifle or glass bowl.
Makes 16-20 servings
1 (18.25-ounce) box yellow cake mix
2 tablespoons cocoa
1/4 cup canola oil
3 egg whites
1 (1-ounce) bottle red food coloring
1 cup skim milk
1 tablespoon vinegar
Cream Cheese Icing (recipe below)
1 quart strawberries, sliced
1 (12-ounce) container frozen non-fat whipped topping, thawed
1. Preheat oven 350°F. Coat two 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In mixing bowl, combine cake mix, cocoa, oil, egg, egg whites, and food coloring. In small bowl, combine milk and vinegar. Next, add to the bowl and mix until well combined.
3. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
4. In a trifle or glass bowl, layer half the cake, cream cheese icing, strawberries and whipped topping. Repeat Layers.
Cream Cheese Icing
1 (8-ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese
3 tablespoons butter
1 (16-ounce) box confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add confectioners’ sugar and beat until light. Add vanilla.
Nutritional Information Calories 272, Calories from fat 29%, Fat 9g, Saturated Fat 4g, Cholesterol 23mg, Sodium 246mg, Carbohydrate 45g, Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 35g, Protein 3g Diabetic Exchanges: 3 carbohydrate, 2 fat
For more information, visit About Holly or The Healthy Cooking Blog for more recipes and tips.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- Best Chicken Breast Recipe – Spicy Glazed Chicken - March 28, 2017
- March Madness Recipes with Glen Big Baby Davis – Healthy Hamburger Dip - March 27, 2017
- Multiple Myeloma Cancer Diet -What Is Multiple Myeloma and What to Eat? - March 27, 2017