For a quick and easy holiday side, I love to throw this dish together. Perfect to make when your oven is busy and there is no oven space left, since it’s cooked on top of the stove. While the rice is cooking, sauté the peppers and toss together in no time at all. For an even quicker version, try instant wild rice; it tastes just as good. Wild Rice adds a delicious nutty flavor to the dish, while the peppers add a natural sweetness. Did you know that all peppers are loaded with Vitamin C, and red peppers have more Vitamin C than an orange?! This satisfying and nutritious dish is a delectable and colorful side on any holiday table.
Wild Rice and Peppers Recipe from Holly Clegg’s trim&TERRIFIC Eating Well to Fight Arthritis cookbook
Jazz up rice by adding earthy wild rice, mushrooms and colorful.
Makes 8 (3/4-cup) servings
1 (6-ounce) box long-grain and wild rice mix
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red bell pepper, cored, sliced in long, thin slices
1 green bell pepper, cored, sliced in long, thin slices
1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup cooked white rice
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1. Cook wild rice according to package directions; set aside.
2. n large nonstick skillet, heat oil and sauté red and green peppers, and mushrooms until tender, 5 – 7 minutes. Stir in cooked wild rice, white rice, and green onion.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 163, Calories from Fat 35%, Fat 7g, Saturated Fat 1g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 352mg, Carbohydrate 23g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugar 3g, Protein 4g, Diabetic Exchanges: 1.5 starch, 1 fat
Nutritional Nugget: The carotenoid-rich bell pepper provides powerful protection helping reduce the risk for certain cancers and boosting the immune system.
Visit my website for more nutritious yet all-time favorite holiday recipes. SHOP using HOLIDAY PROMO CODE FOR 25% off all cookbooks.
Do you get my FREE Monthly Menu Newsletter filled with recipes, tips and so much more? SIGN UP NOW
For more information, visit www.hollyclegg.com or The Healthy Cooking Blog for more recipes and tips.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- How to Serve Safe Food – Terrific Tailgate Tips - October 19, 2016
- Sweet Potato Skin Appetizers – For Football Tailgate Party - October 17, 2016
- Simple Baked Chicken – Eat Protein for Chemotherapy Diet-Cancer Treatment - October 16, 2016