Quick Potato Skin Appetizers for Football Tailgate Party
Looking for a healthy dish to make at your next football game? Men and women, and kids of all ages will enjoy these Sweet Potato Skin appetizers from my KITCHEN 101 cookbook. A mix of sweet and savory with the naturally sweet potatoes, topped with turkey bacon, cheese and a sprinkle of green onions.
All-American Favorite Gets Healthy Spin
Sweet potatoes are a complex carbohydrate, good source of fiber; and they also fight inflammation as their orange color is from the Carotenoid antioxidant which turns into Vitamin A. Sweet potatoes are also low in fat and sodium, and a good source of Vitamins C and E! When preparing these sweet potato skin appetizers – don’t let the extra pulp go to waste! Make mashed sweet potatoes by mixing in skim milk, sour cream, salt and pepper and maybe a dash of cinnamon for a yummy side dish another day.
Sweet Potato Skins from KITCHEN 101 cookbook
All-American potato skin appetizers gets a deliciously healthy spin with fiber-rich sweet potatoes and healthier ingredients ideal for any appetizer or snack.
Makes 12 potato skins
6 medium sweet potatoes
4 slices turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup chopped green onions
2/3 cup reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Wash potatoes well, and dry thoroughly. Microwave on high 8-10 minutes depending on size (or in 425˚F oven bake 50-60 minutes). When potatoes cool to handle, cut in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-inch shell (save pulp for another use). Cut potato skins in half width-wise.
2. Place potato skins on baking sheet lined with foil. Coat skins with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Bake 475°F for 5-7 minutes; turn and coat skins on other side with nonstick cooking spray. Bake until crisp, 3-5 minutes more.
4. In small bowl, mix together bacon, green onions, and cheese.
5. Sprinkle mixture inside skins. Bake 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutritional info per serving:
Calories 79, Calories from Fat 25%, Fat 2g, Saturated Fat 1g, Cholesterol 7mg, Sodium 155mg, Carbohydrates 11g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Total Sugars 2g, Protein 4g, Dietary Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 lean meat
Find more delicious easy appetizers on my blog!
For more information, visit About Holly or The Healthy Cooking Blog for more recipes and tips.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- Oscar Party Food Recipes To Watch Academy Awards with Winning Easy Menu - February 24, 2017
- Easy Muffuletta Salad Recipe -Jazzed Up Amazing Muffuletta Pasta Salad - February 20, 2017
- Easy Chicken and Dumplings Recipe with Rotisserie Chicken & Bisquick - February 19, 2017