Quick Potato Skin Appetizers for Football Tailgate Party
Looking for a healthy dish to make at your next football game? Men and women, and kids of all ages will enjoy these Sweet Potato Skin appetizers from my KITCHEN 101 cookbook. A mix of sweet and savory with the naturally sweet potatoes, topped with turkey bacon, cheese and a sprinkle of green onions.
All-American Favorite Gets Healthy Spin
Sweet potatoes are a complex carbohydrate, good source of fiber; and they also fight inflammation as their orange color is from the Carotenoid antioxidant which turns into Vitamin A. Sweet potatoes are also low in fat and sodium, and a good source of Vitamins C and E! When preparing these sweet potato skin appetizers – don’t let the extra pulp go to waste! Make mashed sweet potatoes by mixing in skim milk, sour cream, salt and pepper and maybe a dash of cinnamon for a yummy side dish another day.
Sweet Potato Skins from KITCHEN 101 cookbook
All-American potato skin appetizers gets a deliciously healthy spin with fiber-rich sweet potatoes and healthier ingredients ideal for any appetizer or snack.
Makes 12 potato skins
6 medium sweet potatoes
4 slices turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup chopped green onions
2/3 cup reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Wash potatoes well, and dry thoroughly. Microwave on high 8-10 minutes depending on size (or in 425˚F oven bake 50-60 minutes). When potatoes cool to handle, cut in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-inch shell (save pulp for another use). Cut potato skins in half width-wise.
2. Place potato skins on baking sheet lined with foil. Coat skins with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Bake 475°F for 5-7 minutes; turn and coat skins on other side with nonstick cooking spray. Bake until crisp, 3-5 minutes more.
4. In small bowl, mix together bacon, green onions, and cheese.
5. Sprinkle mixture inside skins. Bake 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutritional info per serving:
Calories 79, Calories from Fat 25%, Fat 2g, Saturated Fat 1g, Cholesterol 7mg, Sodium 155mg, Carbohydrates 11g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Total Sugars 2g, Protein 4g, Dietary Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 lean meat
Find more delicious easy appetizers on my blog!
For more information, visit About Holly or The Healthy Cooking Blog for more recipes and tips.