Best Butternut Squash Recipe is my Delcious Butternut Squash Casserole
Looking for the best butternut squash recipe? My healthy Butternut Squash Casserole recipe that I call a soufflé will add gourmet flair to your holiday table – but I promise it is so easy. I believe in eating healthy even on the holidays and you can do it with my healthy easy recipes. With a sweet nutty taste similar to pumpkin, butternut squash goes well in savory or even sweet dishes. It is a good source of fiber and carotenoid antioxidants. Add choices to your table as this is a diabetic butternut squash recipe. Also, the recipe is vegetarian.
Go Convenient and Creative with Healthy Butternut Squash Casserole!
Look for packages of peeled, cubed squash in the produce section for extra ease – Shhhh; your secret is safe with me! I think this is one of my favorite convenience products as I did hate cutting up the squash. Yes, this recipe is diabetic friendly but the light brown sugar, cereal topping complements the savory squash.
Butternut Squash Souffle from Holly Clegg’s Trim and Terrific Too Hot in the Kitchen cookbook
Had extra butternut squash and made this creamy yummy casserole.
Makes 4 (3/4-cup) servings
3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup skim milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup crushed honey nut toasted whole grain oat cereal
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1. Preheat oven 400°F. Coat 1-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place butternut squash in microwave-safe bowl with a little water, microwave until soft, 6-8 minutes. Drain and mash.
3. In prepared dish, combine mashed squash, sugar, milk, vanilla, salt, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and egg, mixing well. Combine cereal and brown sugar. Sprinkle on top. Bake 20 minutes or until set.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 162 Calories from fat 9% Fat 2g Saturated Fat 0g Cholesterol 53mg Sodium 61mg Carbohydrate 35g Dietary Fiber 3g Sugars 21g Protein 4g Dietary Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate
Spicy Advice: If you never had butternut squash, it has a sweet, nutty taste similar to pumpkin. I think this healthy butternut squash casserole will quickly become a staple holiday side.
Visit Holly’s website for more healthy holiday recipes.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- Strawberry Dessert Pizza Recipe – Better Than Your Favorite Strawberry Pie - August 14, 2017
- Best Philly Cheese Steak Recipe Makes Favorite of Simple Sandwich Recipes - August 6, 2017
- Banana Foster Pie Most Popular Homemade Banana Pudding Pie Recipe - August 6, 2017