Don’t have time to cook and looking for a delicious meatless meal– – one of my very favorite ingredients is seafood, always keeping various types – salmon, shrimp, tilapia in the freezer for quick, go-to meals – and what better time to spotlight this mouth-watering meal, Fish Tacos with Southwestern Slaw from KITCHEN 101, my easiest cookbook, that just happens to be healthy, then when the Lenten season falls in the National Nutrition Month of March! With only 140-200 calories and very little fat and sodium in 4 ounces of fish, such as tilapia and trout – fish is always a lean heart-healthy choice. Jarred jalapeno may be used, adjusted to preference, or left out. What a great fresh recipe to check out for the novice or busy cook – I cannot wait for you to try!
Fish Tacos with Southwestern Cole Slaw from Holly Clegg’s trim&TERRIFIC KITCHEN 101: Secrets to Cooking Confidence
Spicy fish and fabulous cool cole slaw — easy and perfect pairing.
Makes 6 fish tacos
1 1/2 pounds tilapia filets (or fish of choice)
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste
6 flour tortillas (or corn tortillas)
Southwestern Cole slaw (recipe follows)
1. Preheat broiler. Season fish with chili powder and season to taste. Broil 4-6 minutes per 1/2–inch thickness or until fish flakes with fork. Fish may be grilled or pan sautéed also.
2. Fill each tortilla with fish and Southwestern Cole Slaw (see recipe).
3. Warm tortillas according to package directions or heat in microwave about 30 seconds covered with damp paper towel. Serve with cole slaw or condiments of choice
Nutritional info per serving:
Calories 209, Calories from Fat 19%, Fat 4g, Saturated Fat 2g, Cholesterol 57mg, Sodium 353mg, Carbohydrates 16g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Total Sugars 1g, Protein 26g, Dietary Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat
Southwestern Cole Slaw
Serve extra slaw with burgers.
Makes 12 (1/2 cup) servings
1 (10-ounce) bag angel hair or classic cole slaw (about 5 cups)
1 cup chopped green onions
2-3 tablespoons chopped jalapeños (found in jar)
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
1 (11-ounce) can Mexican style corn, drained
3/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
1 avocado, chopped and drizzled with lime juice
1. In large bowl, combine cole slaw, green onions, jalapeños, tomatoes, and corn.
2. In small bowl, mix yogurt, mayonnaise, and vinegar. Toss with slaw. Season to taste and fold in avocados.
Nutritional info per serving
Calories 76, Calories from Fat 35%, Fat 3g, Saturated Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 173mg, Carbohydrates 10g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Total Sugars 4g, Protein 3g, Dietary Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
Check our more of Holly’s easy healthy seafood recipes.