As of this weekend, Spring has officially sprung. Azalea’s are in full bloom and the days are getting longer and warmer. The perfect treat for days like these are Orange Cupcakes with Citrus Cream Cheese Frosting, from Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle At Any Age. Cupcake shops are all the rage right now, and you can easily whip up these little delights in your own home. Whether bringing them to a neighbor, your children’s grade school class, or a shower, these cupcakes are sure to please. A refreshing orange twist and a cream cheese icing is hard to beat…and shhhh they even get a boost of whole wheat flour nutrition – but I won’t tell the kids!
Orange Cupcakes with Citrus Cream Cheese Frosting from Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle At Any Age.
With cupcakes the fad, try this refreshing, light cupcake with a wonderful orange twist — sneak in whole wheat flour for a nutrition boost.
Makes 20-24 cupcakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat or all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon grated orange rind, optional
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 (12-ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed and divided
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Citrus Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
1. Preheat oven 350°F. Line muffin tins with cupcake papers.
2. In medium bowl, combine both flours, baking powder, baking soda and orange rind.
3. In another bowl, combine sugar, buttermilk, orange juice concentrate (reserving 2 tablespoons), oil, eggs and vanilla. Whisk until well mixed.
4. Add sugar-buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring only until blended. Divide batter among muffins, filling about half full. Bake 18-22 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool, frost with Citrus Cream Cheese Frosting (see recipe).
Citrus Cream Cheese Frosting
1 (8-ounce) package reduced- fat cream cheese
2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, reserved from above
2 cups confectioners sugar
1. In mixing bowl, beat together all ingredients until creamy. Frost cupcakes.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 184 Calories from fat 28% Fat 6g Saturated Fat 2g Cholesterol 25mg Sodium 96mg Carbohydrate 30g Dietary Fiber 1g Sugars 22g Protein 3g Dietary Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
Check out more of my easy, healthy desserts for the spring.
For more information, visit About Holly or The Healthy Cooking Blog for more recipes and tips.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- Fabulous Meat Dip Recipe -Have You Made My Hearty, Easy Meaty Italian Dip? - January 19, 2017
- Easy Recipes For Cancer Patients -5-Ingredient Simple Baked Chicken - January 17, 2017
- Quick Chili Recipe – 10-Ingredient + 10 Minutes for BEST Meat Chili - January 16, 2017