My Popular Southwestern Shrimp, Corn, and Sweet Potato Soup
A spectacular soup that’s easy and nutritious from my easy, healthier and fun cookbook, Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle At Any Age Honestly, this is truly one of my most popular and personal favorite soup recipes and it is so very easy to make. The sweet potatoes are a great source of fiber and Vitamin C and pair so well with the protein rich shrimp.
Soup makes an easy one-pot meal
I love an easy one-pot dish that requires nothing more than mixing the ingredients and heating. I have even made this in my crockpot, set it to warm, and served hours later. The spicy aroma of chili powder and cumin fills my house with the warm smell of fall. Check out more of my favorite and easy soup recipes
Southwestern Shrimp, Corn, and Sweet Potato Soup from Too Hot in the Kitchen
Naturally sweet yams, shrimp, corn and spicy southwestern seasonings flawlessly come together in this easy (dump and stir) satisfying soup.
Makes 12 (1-cup) servings
1 red onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 cups diced peeled Louisiana yams, (sweet potatoes)
1 (16-ounce) bag frozen corn
1 (15-ounce) can cream-style corn
1 (10-ounce) can chopped tomatoes and green chilies
1 cup salsa
4 cups fat-free chicken broth
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 pounds peeled medium shrimp
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped green onions
1. In large nonstick pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté onion and garlic until tender. Add all ingredients except shrimp; bring mixture to boil.
2. Add shrimp, return to boil, reduce heat and continue cooking until shrimp are done, 7-10 minutes. Season to taste. Sprinkle with green onions, when serving.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 146, Calories from fat 8%, Fat 1g, Saturated Fat 0g, Cholesterol 84mg, Sodium 518mg, Carbohydrate 23g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 5g, Protein 12g, Dietary Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 very lean meat.
Check out more of my easy, rush hour recipes
For more information, visit www.hollyclegg.com or The Healthy Cooking Blog for more recipes and tips.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- How to Serve Safe Food – Terrific Tailgate Tips - October 19, 2016
- Sweet Potato Skin Appetizers – For Football Tailgate Party - October 17, 2016
- Simple Baked Chicken – Eat Protein for Chemotherapy Diet-Cancer Treatment - October 16, 2016