Turn Red Velvet Cake Recipe into Red Velvet Trifle Dessert Easily!
My Easy Red Velvet Cake recipe makes one of my favorite desserts and is wonderful for Valentine’s Day or any time of year. This recipe is about healthy cooking and my cake that magically turns into a simple, indulgent Red Velvet Trifle. I love the fact this delicious Red Velvet Trifle is make-ahead, serves a crowd and has a “wow” effect.” This Easy Red Velvet Cake recipe is from my Gulf Coast Favorites cookbook and this book includes southern delicious healthy easy desserts.
Easy Red Velvet Cake recipe or Red Velvet Trifle?
This dessert also holds one of my favorite “make-it-work” stories. My Mother was making my cake recipe for a family gathering and the layers fell apart. My motto is ‘if a chocolate soufflé falls, serve it as a chocolate pudding. Never start over!’ She was upset and I asked her to grab a trifle bowl, and the outcome was the most popular dessert of the night, Red Velvet Trifle! I add fresh fruit and I like red strawberries for a stunning presentation. I enjoy both the Easy Red Velvet Cake and the Red Velvet Trifle. I can never decide which dessert to make. Here’s the trifle recipe from my arthritis cookbook. This delicious choice is yours! I think everyone should have a trifle bowl. However, you can also use a large glass bowl. You just want to see the layers.
Easy Red Velvet Cake recipe from Holly Clegg’s trim&TERRIFIC Gulf Coast Favorites
This recipe makes the perfect Valentine’s Day, Christmas, or any special occasion dessert. This southern classic cake never goes out of style. Take a short cut by using a cake mix and effortlessly prepare a beautiful and deliciously rich luscious cake. Turn easily into a Red Velvet Trifle with layers of berries, icing and whipped topping.
Makes 16–20 servings
1 (18.25-ounce) box yellow cake mix
2 tablespoons cocoa
1/4 cup canola oil
3 egg whites
1 (1-ounce) bottle red food coloring
1 cup skim milk
1 tablespoon vinegar
Cream Cheese Icing (recipe below)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat three 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, cocoa, oil, egg, egg whites, and food coloring. In a small bowl, combine milk and vinegar, and add to mixing bowl. Mix until well combined.
3. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake 5–20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool layers on a rack and ice with Cream Cheese Icing.
Cream Cheese Icing
1 (8-ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons butter
1 (16-ounce) box confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add confectioners’ sugar and beat until light. Add vanilla.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 272, Calories from fat 29%, Fat 9g, Saturated Fat 4g, Cholesterol 23mg, Sodium 246mg, Carbohydrate 45g, Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 35g, Protein 3g, Diabetic Exchanges: 3 carbohydrate, 2 fat
Terrific Tidbit: For another fantastic dessert option, turn this cake into a trifle by layering cake, cream cheese icing, and nonfat whipped topping in a trifle or glass bowl.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- Healthy Easy Crawfish Etouffee Recipe with Secret Healthy Roux -YUM! - September 22, 2017
- Sweet Potato Bread 4 Ingredient Yummy Yam Bread with Spice Cake Mix - September 21, 2017
- Family Favorite Homemade Dinner Smothered Chicken Breasts Recipe - September 19, 2017