My Easy Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Recipe with Healthy Gumbo Roux!
My Easy Chicken and Sausage Gumbo is a Cajun gumbo recipe favorite and my trick for a healthy gumbo is making a healthy roux! When you think of Louisiana cuisine, gumbo comes to mind and especially in cold weather. I’m always in the mood for a warm satisfying bowl of this Louisiana gumbo recipe and my go-to favorite recipe is in my Gulf Coast Favorites cookbook. This cookbook features southern and Louisiana healthy easy recipes and the recipes are your favorites!!! My secret to a halthy gumbo is in the healthy roux! Diabetic chicken gumbo recipes are hard to find and you would never know this is also a diabetic gumbo recipe!! There are different kinds of gumbo, however, if you are not in a region where seafood is plentiful, this chicken sausage gumbo is the answer. I believe in eating healthy and you can even enjoy a healthy gumbo.
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo – Secret In Healthy Roux Plus Diabetic Chicken Gumbo!
The secret to a good gumbo is the roux and my secret is I use browned flour for a healthy roux. Not only is this roux a time saver, but you get that rich nutty flavor without all the fat. The gumbo tastes great and the roux bakes easily in the oven. I love my recipe because you can make this healthy gumbo anywhere. Would you belive this delicious gumbo is also a diabetic chicken gumbo recipe? Also, gumbo freezes well and did you know you can also freeze extra rice? I have a category on my healthy food blog for your Louisiana favorite recipes and they are for healthy easy recipes. I know most importantly everyone wants an easy chicken and sausage gumbo recipe!
Easy Chicken and Sausage Gumbo from Holly Clegg’s trim&TERRIFIC Gulf Coast Favorites Cookbook
Gumbo, a Louisiana favorite, may be prepared easily and conveniently with chicken, sausage, and seasonings. A diabetic chicken gumbo recipe with my easy healthy roux! Gumbo is served over rice. Okra can be left out, if desired.
Makes 14 (1-cup) servings
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 pound reduced-fat sausage, sliced in 1/4-inch pieces
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in pieces
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 green bell pepper, cored and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
8 cups fat-free chicken broth
1 (16-ounce) package frozen cut okra or fresh cut okra
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1. Preheat oven 400ºF.
2. Place flour on baking sheet and bake 20 minutes. Stir every 7–10 minutes or until dark nutty brown color. Set aside.
3. In large nonstick pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, stir-fry sausage over medium heat and cook until crispy brown. Set aside and remove any excess grease. Recoat skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
4. Add chicken and cook, stirring until starting to brown and then add onion, garlic, green pepper, and celery, cooking until tender. Stir in browned flour, stir continuously.
5. Gradually add chicken broth, okra, thyme, cayenne, and season to taste. Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer 30 minutes or until chicken is tender. Add sausage and green onions cooking 5 more minutes.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 160, Calories from fat (%) 11, Fat (g) 2, Saturated Fat (g) 1, Cholesterol (mg) 49, Sodium (mg) 550, Carbohydrate (g) 12, Dietary Fiber (g) 2, Sugars (g) 4, Protein (g) 22, Diabetic Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate, 3 very lean meat
Time to Get An Autographed Cookbook! Use Discount Code LA25: SHOP with discount code LA25 for 25% off my cookbooks to enjoy Louisiana recipes wherever you live!
For more information, visit About Holly or The Healthy Cooking Blog for more recipes and tips.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- Ground Beef Dip Recipe For Incredibly Flavored Easy Meaty Italian Dip - January 19, 2017
- Easy Recipes For Cancer Patients -5-Ingredient Simple Baked Chicken - January 17, 2017
- Quick Chili Recipe – 10-Ingredient + 10 Minutes for BEST Meat Chili - January 16, 2017