It’s not just for the environment—going green is also important for your health as foods such as kale, collard greens, spinach, and green cabbage offer a variety or fiber, nutrients, and vitamins. Pass up the iceberg lettuce and go for the deeper colored greens in your meals.
Kale is all the rage these days, and I was so excited when WebMD featured Tasty Kale and White Beans (recipe below) from my trim&TERRIFIC Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle At Any Age cookbook, plus some of my other recipes on this ‘Cooking With Greens‘ slideshow.
Tasty Kale and White Beans from Too Hot in the Kitchen cookbook
Never cooked kale before? This recipe truly knocked it out of the park! One I will repeat many times.
Makes 6 servings
1/3 cup diced Canadian bacon
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 pound kale, chopped (about 6 cups)
1 (15-ounce) can Great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup fat-free chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In large nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray over medium heat, cook Canadian bacon until turns golden brown, several minutes. Add oil and onion, sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Add kale, beans and broth and cook, stirring, about 10 minutes or until kale is tender. Season to taste.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 137 Calories from fat 21% Fat 3g Saturated Fat 1g Cholesterol 4mg Sodium 365mg Carbohydrate 20g Dietary Fiber 6g Sugars 2g Protein 8g Dietary Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat
Spicy Advice: Kale, from the cabbage family, is very nutritious with powerful antioxidants.
Check out more of Holly’s easy less than 10 ingredient recipes
For more information, visit www.hollyclegg.com or The Healthy Cooking Blog for more recipes and tips.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- Fresh Fig Bundt Cake Recipe Moist -When Is Fig Season? - August 22, 2016
- Healthy College Cookbook – KITCHEN 101 For Your First Kitchen Cookbook - August 19, 2016
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies Recipe – Easy & Healthier Oatmeal Cookie! - August 17, 2016