My Two Favorite Recipes Using Spice Cake Mix
This time of year I think about my recipes using spice cake mix and my Yam Chocolate Spice Bars from Eating Well To Fight Arthritis cookbook. tops the list. This delcious recipe starts with a cake mix and topped wtih a delicious yam cream cheese filling. Add chocolate chips and you have spice, chocolate and cheesecake all in one bite! Have you ever had my famous Ooey Gooey Squares from KITCHEN 101? The Yam Chocolate Spice Bars taste like a holiday Ooey Gooey Squares and makes the perfect holiday healthy easy recipe. This spice cake mix dessert tastes like Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bars made with sweet potatoes.
Yam Chocolate Spice Bars Easy to Make Recipes using spice cake mix
I keep these ingredients in my pantry during the holiday season and I make Yam Chocolate Spice Bars all the time. They are simple and so good! In fact, I have a book signing tomorrow and I decided to make Yam Chocolate Spice Bars. You can substitute canned pumpkin instead of canned yams and I sometimes use dark chocolate chips. Then, you can say you believe in eating healthy. I think this holiday pick up is the essence of the holiday. The recipe makes one of the best spice cake mix desserts. I bet it will be your go-to recipe this time of year. Take this yummy quick recipe to a cookie swap or party and I promise everyone will request the recipe.
Yam Chocolate Spice Bars from Eating Well to Fight Arthritis
Once you make this recipe you will see why it is a favorite of my recipes using spice cake mixes. The spice cake mix bottom, yam cheesecake filling and chocolate chips create a taste sensation. Everyone always requests this recipe. Also, you can use for leftover cooked sweet potatoes.
Makes 48 squares
1 (18.25-ounce) box spice cake mix
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 (8-ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese
1 (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
1 (16-ounce) box confectioners’ sugar
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat 13x9x2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In mixing bowl, beat together cake mix, butter, and egg until well mixed. Spread batter into prepared pan.
3. In mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese, sweet potatoes, confectioners’ sugar, egg whites, and vanilla until creamy. Stir in chocolate chips and pour mixture over batter in pan.
4. Bake 40-50 minutes or until top is golden brown. Cool to room temperature and cut into squares.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 134, Calories from Fat 31%, Fat 5g, Saturated Fat 3g, Cholesterol 12mg, Sodium 116mg, Carbohydrates 22g, Dietary Fiber 0g, Total Sugars 16g, Protein 2g, Dietary Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
Terrific Tip: Most bar cookies freeze well so make these cheesecake bars ahead of time and pull out when needed.
Nutrition Nugget: Yams are an excellent source of antioxidant-rich carotenoids because of their deep orange color. Also, great for reducing inflammation
For more information, visit About Holly or The Healthy Cooking Blog for more recipes and tips.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- Oscar Party Food Recipes To Watch Academy Awards with Winning Easy Menu - February 24, 2017
- Easy Muffuletta Salad Recipe -Jazzed Up Amazing Muffuletta Pasta Salad - February 20, 2017
- Easy Chicken and Dumplings Recipe with Rotisserie Chicken & Bisquick - February 19, 2017