I’ve always wanted to make a stuffed bell pepper but never have because I thought they would be too difficult to make. So when I saw Holly’s Stuffed Peppers recipe in her trim&TERRIFIC Diabetic Cooking cookbook I was ecstatic!
As with all of her recipes, they were easy to make and tasted delicious. I loved the addition of artichokes. They added a great flavor and my roommate (who doesn’t like artichokes) couldn’t tell they were in there. Just be careful not to microwave the bell peppers for too long or they will start to shrivel up. Check out my easy diabetic friendly recipes
Sensational Stuffed Peppers from Eating Well To Fight Arthritis
These peppers get their punch from tasty beef, corn, rice, and artichokes. Buy peppers in assorted colors and make extras to freeze for a quick evening meal.
4 servings/serving size: 1 pepper
4 medium green (or assorted colors) bell peppers
1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3/4 pound 95% lean ground sirloin
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/2 cup very finely chopped canned artichokes (chop in food processor)
1 cup cooked whole grain brown rice or white rice
1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Slice tops off green peppers and remove core and seeds. Remove stems from tops and chop tops.
2. Arrange pepper shells on microwave-safe plate, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave 8–10 minutes or until soft.
3. In large nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté onion, garlic, and chopped peppers over medium heat 5 minutes. Add meat and cook 8 minutes or until done, stirring occasionally. Drain off excess fat.
4. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spoon mixture into pepper shells and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 15–20 minutes or until peppers are hot.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 236, Calories from Fat 46, Total Fat 5 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 47 mg, Sodium 135 mg, Total Carbohydrate 28 g, Dietary Fiber 4 g, Sugars 6 g, Protein 22 g, Diabetic Exchanges: 1 Starch, 2 Vegetable, 2 Lean Meat
For more information, visit About Holly or The Healthy Cooking Blog for more recipes and tips.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- 50 Shades of Red: Romantic Valentine’s Day Recipes - January 23, 2017
- Ground Beef Dip Recipe For Incredibly Flavored Easy Meaty Italian Dip - January 19, 2017
- Easy Recipes For Cancer Patients -5-Ingredient Simple Baked Chicken - January 17, 2017