Taco Rice Salad Makes Best Main Dish Salad Family Meal
When you say tacos, you have everyone’s attention, all ages! Go with my best taco salad, Taco Rice Salad from Too Hot in the Kitchen as this is a one-dish meal, and this entree salad is light, yet, satisfying enough to feed the hearty eater. What’s great about this easy taco salad recipe is you can also add your favorite veggies hanging around in the refrig-cooking is creative-so toss in beans, corn, avocados, adding more nutrition and flavor. Always, look for the leaner cuts of meat-those that end in a ’round or loin’ so you will have leaner protein! And, wait until you taste the dressing for my Taco Rice Salad -only two ingredients! Use different flavored salsas to change the taste without effort. I enjoyed working with Wal-Mart creating this healthy cooking video! My recipes are are easy and affordable meals but most importantly, DELICIOUS!
Taco Rice Salad from Too Hot in the Kitchen cookbook
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 Meal Occasion: Dinner Lunch/Dinner
Makes 6 servings
Serving size 1 cup
Cost Per Serving: less than $2
1 pound ground sirloin
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Salt & pepper to taste
3 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 head lettuce, shredded, or 4 cups mixed greens
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup fat free plain yogurt
1/2 cup salsa or picante sauce
1. In nonstick skillet, cook meat, onion, and garlic until done, 5-7 minutes. Drain excess fat.
2. Add cumin, salt, pepper, rice (follow directions on bag or box to cook rice). Remove from heat, cool.
3. In bowl, combine lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, red onion, and rice mixture.
4. In another bowl, mix yogurt and salsa. Toss with lettuce-rice mixture. Serve immediately, with extra salsa and chips, if desired.
• Toss in black beans and corn for additional flavor and nutrition.
• Brown rice is a whole grain and contains more fibers, vitamin and minerals than the white rice.
If you like this Taco Rice Salad and you’re looking for a good chicken taco salad recipe, you will also enjoy my, Chicken Taco Salad, a salad with chicken in my arthritis cookbook (a book with easy, healthy recipes to help fight inflammation).
For more information, visit www.hollyclegg.com or The Healthy Cooking Blog for more recipes and tips.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- How to Serve Safe Food – Terrific Tailgate Tips - October 19, 2016
- Sweet Potato Skin Appetizers – For Football Tailgate Party - October 17, 2016
- Simple Baked Chicken – Eat Protein for Chemotherapy Diet-Cancer Treatment - October 16, 2016