Quick Veggie Soup is Ultimate Cancer recipe for Comfort Food
Cold weather seems to go hand and hand with cold and flu season. Aside from washing your hands and stocking up on Vitamin C, there’s nothing like a warm bowl of soup to fight away the chills. My recipe for Quick Veggie Soup from Eating Well Through Cancer is the perfect crowd-pleasing vegetarian option. Loaded with vegetables and light on fat, this trim soup will fill everyone up without weighting them down. It’s easy to put together on those nights where you want to put a nutritious meal on the table, but you’re short on time. Also, the soup freezes well, so consider doubling and freezing for another cold night. To cut down prep time even more, substitute a package of frozen mixed vegetables for the carrots, corn, and peas.
Quick Veggie Soup great cancer recipe for everyone
Quick Veggie Soup from Holly Clegg’s Eating Well Through Cancer: Easy Recipes & Recommendations During & After Treatment – Spanish edition now available: Alimentándose bien durante el cancer
6 servings/serving size: 1 cup
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 (16-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato puree
4 cups water
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup sliced carrots
1/3 cup white or brown rice
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen green peas
1. In large nonstick pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté onion and garlic 5 minutes or until done.
2. Add tomato puree, water, salt and pepper, Worcestershire sauce, carrots, and rice. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 20–25 minutes or until rice is done.
3. Add corn and peas and continue cooking 10 minutes or until heated. Remove bay leaf before serving. If needed, add more water to soup.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 129, Calories from fat 5%, Fat 1 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 95mg, Carbohydrate 29 g, Dietary Fiber 4 g, Sugars 9 g, Protein 5 g, Dietary Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 carbohydrate
Check out more cancer recipes
For more information, visit www.hollyclegg.com or The Healthy Cooking Blog for more recipes and tips.
Latest posts by Holly Clegg (see all)
- Simple Healthy Recipes in KITCHEN 101 Cookbook Plus Cooking Basics - October 28, 2016
- How to Serve Safe Food – Terrific Tailgate Tips - October 19, 2016
- Sweet Potato Skin Appetizers – For Football Tailgate Party - October 17, 2016